FSSAI Registration Process - Types, Documents Required, Benefits, Penalty
FSSAI License or FSSAI Registration is mandatory before starting a food or related business. The Food Safety and Standards Authority Act issues the FSSAI license.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and the State Food Authorities are jointly responsible for implementing the FSSAI rules.
This Act secures the laws relating to food and establishes science-based standards for food to control food manufacturing.
FSSAI licenses are of three types FSSAI Basic License, Central FSSAI license, and State FSSAI license. With the FSSAI license, there is also an FSSAI registration needed for the petty food retailers.
Learn more about the difference between FSSAI registration and FSSAI license here. Let us take a look at the procedure for obtaining an FSSAI license in India.
What is FSSAI?
FSSAI - Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. FSSAI license is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation.
Who needs FSSAI certificate ?
For all food-related businesses such as manufacturing, trading, restaurants, small eateries, grocery shop, importers, exporters, home-based food businesses, dairy farms, processors, it is mandatory to get an FSSAI license or FSSAI registration before commencing with the Company. This 14 digit FSSAI license number gives information about the producer's permit.
What is the Procedure for FSSAI License Registration?
There are four steps, including the FSSAI license registration procedure that are following:
- Selection of Kind of Business
- Selection of Food Category
- Selection of Type of License
- Issue of Certificate
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
FSSAI registration is mostly applicable for petty food retailers, and the procedure for obtaining FSSAI registration is straightforward. The documents required for FSSAI registration are:
Photo of Food Business Operator.
Document for Identity Proof like Ration Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Passport, Aadhar Card, Senior Citizen Card, Department Issued ID.
Supporting Documents (if any):- NOC by Municipality or Panchayat, Health NOC.
Types of FSSAI/ Food Licence
- FSSAI Basic License
- FSSAI State License
- FSSAI Central License
The information listed below is useful if an individual is planning to operate a food business in India.
Basic registration - Basic Registration is necessary when the annual turnover is less than 12 lakh; the registration should be done.
State License - An application shall be made for a state license if the annual turnover is between 12-20 crores.
Central License - If the annual turnover is above 20 Crores, then the food business must apply for a Central license.
Based on the types mentioned above, the annual turnover, a food business operator has to apply and get an FSSAI license mandatorily. Hence, the business's smooth-running must get the FSSAI License as there are some penalties and legal charges to face as the laws become stringent lately.
It is necessary to get FSSAI registration for all petty food business operators. A minor food business operator is any person who:
- Manufactures or sells any food articles by himself or a little retailer, hawker, vendor, and even a stallholder.
- Distributes food in any religious or social gathering except a caterer
- Small scale or cottage food business or other such industries relating to food business with a turnover not exceeding Rs. 12 lakh and whose :
- With the production capacity not exceeding 100 kg/ltr per day or
- Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 liters of milk per day
- Slaughtering capacity is two large animals or ten small animals or 50 poultry birds per day.
Petty food business operators must obtain FSSAI registration by submitting an application for registration in Form A.
FSSAI registration contains the details of registration and a photo of the applicant. It is necessary to display the certificate prominently at the place of business.
A person or entity that does not classify as a petty food business operator must obtain the FSSAI license for operating a food business in India.
FSSAI licenses are of three types Basic FSSAI license, State FSSAI license, and Central FSSAI license. Based on the size and the nature of the business, the licensing authority will change. Large manufacturers or producers and importers of food require a central FSSAI license, whereas the medium-sized manufacturers require the State FSSAI license.
FSSAI license is more costly as compared to the FSSAI registration. An application should be made in Form B to the appropriate licensing authority and the necessary self-attested declaration, affidavit, and annexures.
The validity of the FSSAI differs from 1to 5 years as per the food business operator's request. The higher the fee, the higher the validity.
Documents are Required for Basic FSSAI Registration?
Given below is the list of documents you would require for the issuance of Basic FSSAI Registration:
- FSSAI Declaration,
- Photo identity proof of food business operator
- A copy of proof of possession of premise such as rent agreement,
- MOA, AOA, Partnership deed, etc. - depending on the type of entity,
- Category of food products involved,
- Plan of food safety management system
Documents Required for FSSAI State License
Following documents are required for applying for State Registration-
- Particulars of Partners, directors, proprietors, and Executive Members of Society with full address and contact details.
- Passport-sized photograph of the applicant
- Identification proof and Proof of address of the Applicant.
- PAN Card of the applicant.
- A copy of property papers (If the place of business is owned by the applicant).
- A copy of the rented agreement and landlord’s No Objection Certificate(If the property is rented).
- Particulars on Source of Raw material.
- Form duly completed and signed.
- List of all the equipment & machinery installed and operating in the unit.
- No Objection certificate from the Municipality.
- Particulars of food category and complete details of the product to be manufactured.
- E-code document issued by Directorate General of Foreign Trade.
- Form IX Nomination of persons by a company.
- Letter of authorization including the name & address of the responsible person.
- Certificate of the plan relating to the food safety management system.
Documents Required for Obtaining New Central FSSAI License
To make your process of applying FSSAI Central License easier, we have enumerated the complete list of documents required at the time of obtaining Central FSSAI License:-
- Duly filled and signed form B of FSSAI regulations
- Plan the layout of the premise with complete measurements of the manufacturing and operational unit.
- In case the applicant is a company: a complete list of directors such as name, address proof, contact details along with a copy of MOA, AOA & COI are necessary.
- In case the applicant is a partnership firm: a complete list of all the partners such as name, address proof, contact details, etc. along with a copy of partnership deed is necessary.
- In case the applicant is a co-operative society: a complete list of all the members such as name, address proof, contact details, etc. are necessary.
- If the applicant for a license is a registered trust: a copy of trust deed and record of trustees is required
- Address proof of premise is required, which can be any one of the following documents:
- 1. Electricity bill
- 2. Rent agreement
- 3. Registry of the premise, etc
- Food safety management plan or similar system in place
- Name and List of Equipments and Machinery along
- Source of milk, raw materials, and other food products along with its location.
- NOC by the municipality or local authorities.
- If the applicant runs a hotel and the central license is obtained for the same, tourism certificate issued by the ministry of tourism shall be compulsorily attached.
- IE code document issued by DGFT (If any)
Penalties and offences
Punishment for carrying out a business without an FSSAI license
If a person or food business operator (except the person exempted from licensing) himself or by any person on his behalf who is supposed to obtain a license manufactures, sells, stores or distributes, or imports any article for food without a license, then it is a punishable offense with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months and also a fine for around five lakhs.
Penalty for false advertisement
- Any person who publishes or is a party to the publication of an advertisement, which–
- (a) Falsely describes any food; or
- (b) Is likely to mislead as to the nature or substance or quality of any food or gives a false guarantee, shall be liable to a penalty which may extend to ten lakh rupees.
- In any proceeding, the fact that a label or advertisement relating to any food article regarding which the infringement is alleged to have been committed contained an accurate statement of the food composition shall not preclude the court from finding that the violation was committed.